Tuesday 1 February 2022

surviving online teaching during the pandemic: what do the SRIs say?

Since the pandemic began a couple of years ago I have seriously curtailed my blogging. This was primarily the result of having to convert my courses to online delivery in 2020. Converting five lecture courses into online courses was a tall order that needed to be completed in just a couple of months. Thank goodness I was awarded a sabbatical for 2021/22 during which I have been recovering from that intense "pivot". Did we really pivot from in-class to online? It feels more like I just struggled to survive.

Anyways, for the remainder of 2021, I simply rested and tried to recover. One of the consequences of the "pivot" was that I neglected my scholarship. Now, I am trying to re-enter a scholarly life.

For this blog, first up is an assessment, a critical self-reflection of what happened last year in each of my courses. I'll use my student ratings of instruction (SRI's) as one source of data plus my own recollection of what happened last year. I am going to attempt to write each course up as a short paper for this blog in an attempt to see what it would be like if we assessed our teaching similar to how we assess our research (Haave, 2017).

Following this introductory blog post look for subsequent posts on the courses I taught in 2020/21:


Resources